Back in Kisesini!

CHW Mutinda with mother and baby, Damaris
Mutinda and ndulo (the driver) on our walk to the newborn visit

Wa Mukata! Good morning!

I have now been in Kisesini one week and have been able to participate in a newborn visit and help Nicholas, the Kisesini clinic nurse, with other Global Health Partnership tasks. On Wednesday, I went to Syokisinga, which is about a 45minute motorcycle ride, to meet Mutinda, a Community HEalth Worker (CHW). We met in the town of Itithini and began our walk down towards the Athi River. We were going on the final (day 7) visit of the baby girl Damaris. After introductions, Mutinda set to work counting the number of breaths per minute and determined that he did not hear any grunting or see any nasal flaring. He then took the baby’s temperature and looked at her umbilical cord to look for signs of infection. After confirming that no ‘danger signs’ were present, Mutinda began educating the mother. He told her that she should exclusively breastfeed until the baby is 6months and that she needed to take DAmaris to clinic as soon as possible for immunizations. This is part of the newborn visitation project set up by GHP where many CHWs have been taught to monitor newborns for danger signs, including fever, infected umbilical cord, or trouble breathing. The CHWs visit each newborn on day 1, day 3 and day 7 of life.
Currently the CHWs are interviewing all households in 5 different Sublocations so that an accurate under 5 mortality rate can be obtained. We will be collecting data for that project once the CHW are done at the end of September.

In clinic, it has been an exciting week! We had one delivery on Thursday at 8:00pm and the woman had to stay a bit longer than anticipated because she had a bit of heavy bleeding following the delivery, but Vincent (the other clinic nurse) took very good care of her. That same night, we had a small girl come in with a compound fracture of her femur. She was in a lot of pain, but Vincent started and IV and gave her some pain medications while stabilizing the leg for transport….this is where the ambulance comes in very handy- the little girl did not have a pulse in the side of the leg that was broken, so she was taken immediately to the Kituii hospital. We also have a man with a growth that is needing biopsy, but the next available spot for biopsy is in February 2012….Nicholas is currently loking for other options for the man. We will see what next week brings….

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s